February 26, 2014

I Cooked!

Ok maybe it's not THAT exciting...I cook pretty regularly. But the other night I cooked with something I'd never cooked with before. Parsnips. Now, I have heard of parsnips before, but I had no idea what they were, really. I walked into the produce section and had to actually read the signs on the bins because I didn't know what parsnips looked like. I didn't even know what section to look in. By the greens? Near the peppers? I was clueless.

But now I know, and I'm glad I do!
Parsnips are a close relative to carrots and they even kind of smell the same. But I thought the taste was pretty different. It was sort of a tangy/spicy taste, almost like ginger root but not as strong. I liked it!

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and it looked so delicious I decided I had to make it immediately.

white wine and lemon roasted chicken - via The Noshery
Looks amazing, no? Since I was adamant that I make this dish ASAP and I didn't feel like making another trip to the grocery store because I forgot to write down what I'd need and all I could remember was the parsnips (seriously, it's like my memory goes blank when I enter the grocery store), I decided to improvise and make do with the stuff I did have.

veggies tossed and ready
Beautiful veggies, huh! I really dislike Brussels sprouts, which were called for in the original recipe, so I traded those for some broccoli. I didn't have any roasted red peppers so I subbed in some sun dried tomatoes, and since I didn't have any thyme sprigs growing in my kitchen herb garden (I don't have an herb garden!) I used dried thyme. Also, instead of the called-for chicken thighs, I used three plump chicken breasts I had in the fridge. I did everything else according to the original recipe.


I think it turned out quite nicely! It's obviously not as pretty as the original, but I was happy with it. And it was delicious! Totally easy too. I imagine you could probably sub in pretty much any vegetable and chicken part you wanted to in this recipe. I thought of maybe adding some mushrooms next time. I love mushrooms.


I would definitely recommend trying this recipe out. It's simple, flavorful, and versatile. As Meseidy said on TheNoshery, "winner winner chicken dinner!"

xo :)

Follow me!   Facebook   Bloglovin'  Instagram  Google+

1 comment:

  1. Parsnips? You are better than me Monica. At least you already heard of it, i haven't. Brave of you to give it a shot and cook such a delicious looking meal with it. I wonder who invented brussels sprouts, they are bland to me and i could really do without them. Mushrooms will be awesome though :). Great job. Thanks for sharing.

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete