July 23, 2013

On the Run

I haven't always been the active type.  I did sports in school, softball, cheer, swimming, but there have absolutely been times in my life that I have been quite inactive.  For the last couple of years though, I have found much joy in being active and, in particular, running.  

I've had starts and stops, knee injuries, and shin splints.  I've had periods where I'd run 3 times a week, and then I'd go 3 months without running at all.  Since the beginning of this year though, I've had a light on.  I've felt more committed to me, to my body, and to my personal health and fitness.  It hasn't always been easy though.

It's July...this is Texas...it's HOT.  That means the only time I can manage running without risking heat stroke is in the early morning.  I'm not that much of a morning person.  I like to sleep.  Who doesn't?!  But if I'm not out before 7am, it ain't gonna happen.  Then I have to run on the treadmill at the gym...boring!

So today, I decided that I was going to remember to pay attention to
how great I always feel after a morning run.  It's like my whole day is better.  And I love that this, my favorite place to run, is in my backyard:


White Rock Lake: beautiful, peaceful, a treasure to the city of Dallas.  I moved to my apartment here four years ago and I don't think I'd ever want to live anywhere else.  Running here is fantastic.  Especially in the mornings when the bugs aren't awake yet!  It's an easy 5K from my apartment gate down to the park entrance and back and there are ALWAYS other bicyclists, joggers, walkers, and guys doing their morning fishing, so I always feel safe when I'm running by myself.


My trusty running shoes...because they are awesome.  Brooks!


I still kind of hate getting up so early in the morning...I am a die-hard sleepyhead.  But I try to remember what I have just outside my door and how great it is.  I mean, how can you resist when you have this to run next to?

xoxo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment